Russia has the strongest forest potential of all countries in the world and comprises about 22% of the world’s timber reserves. In order to compete in the world market with other forest powers, Russia should focus on the implementation of the highest environmental and social certification standards, since it will retain the timber of slowly growing boreal on the world market.
The following facts can be noted as the incentives for the development of forest certification in Russia:
- forest sector of the economy is mainly export-oriented (significant part of timber is supplied to the more “green” or so-called environmentally sensitive markets of the US and EU)
- customers have a negative information about forest management whilst forestry organizations wish to protect their business through certification requirements;
- activity of Russian and international non-governmental environmental organizations.
Services provided by Russian Register to the forest industry enterprises in the field of certification of management systems, products and personnel help them to successfully carry out the modernization of their activities:
- FSC forest management certification, chain of custody and controlled wood under the international accreditation;
- Certification of quality management systems, environmental management systems, occupational health and safety management systems under the international accreditation of IAF member;
- Certification of information security management system, IT Service Management under the international accreditation of IAF member;
- Certification of integrated management systems developed in compliance with the requirements of several international or national standards;
- Products certification in Russian Register system;
Personnel training on programs, conforming to the requirements of International Personnel Certification Association (IPC) and IQNet Academy.