On August 21, 2018 ISO 50001:2018 “Energy management systems – Requirements with guidance for use” was published on the website of the International Organization for Standardization.
In accordance with Resolution 2017–14 approved in October 2018 IAF agreed the three‐year period of transition to the new version ISO 50001:2018 since the official date of its publication.
At the same time this Resolution 2017–14 was added with the following requirements:
Since 21 February 2020 conducting of audits, including initial, surveillance and recertification audits, for conformity to the requirements of ISO 50001:2011 will be stopped. Starting from this date all audits will be conducted only for conformity to the requirements of ISO 50001:2018.
For successful transition to the international standard ISO 50001:2018 during the transition period you need to take the following actions:
- Develop ISO 50001:2018 transition plan;
- Take the training on ISO 50001:2018 requirements;
- Identify the strategy of your company and stakeholders, as well as their requirements;
- Analyze and confirm roles and authority of persons responsible for conformity to the requirements of ISO 50001:2018;
- Ensure meeting of all new requirements, including requirements for competence, and enhance awareness of all stakeholders which affect the energy performance improvement;
- Make sure that the requirements related to the documented information are understood correctly;
- Make sure that all new requirements are met, and communicate the information to all parties that can affect the significant energy use;
- Contact Certification Association “Russian Register” to plan the transition to the new standard;
- Complete the full cycle of internal audits for conformity to ISO 50001:2018
- Perform the management review, energy review and assess efficiency of the system.
Date of publication: 15.03.2019